[GRASS-dev] GRASS SoC ideas wiki

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 02:20:03 EDT 2011

Hi,

2011/3/27 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:
>  - "Design GRASS toolboxes environment, see GRASS repository layout proposal
>   for detailed information. This would also include general clean up and
>   organization of existing GRASS modules in trunk and add-ons."
>   -> We can't dump a student into such a contentious area without coming
>   to some consensus on the design ourselves first. Personally I consider

This is right.

>   the breaking up of GRASS's 400 modules into a series of optional
>   toolboxes to be a massive mistake. GEM already exists, but no one wants
>   to use it, g.extention is at its core fundamentally a hack (I say as a
>   coauthor), etc.--there's still a lot of maturing of ideas to do. The
>   wiki addons page is getting rather long, but we aren't on the scale of
>   needing something like CRAN yet..

Discussion has been open by Jarek some time ago. (...) I really don't
think that "it would be a massive mistake", moreover I think it would
be "massive mistake" not organize currently available modules in trunk
+ addons to something more readable for GRASS users. Just my point of
view, I believe I am not alone in the GRASS community (feel free to
response). Anyway I will remove this idea from GSoC for now.

Martin