[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] LiDAR LAS import

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 06:24:58 EDT 2011

MarkusM wrote:
> I used sqlite, no idea how long it will take with dbf.

dbf is so simple that it is very fast to write to flat files.
but because it is so simple it becomes slow, or unable, when you want to
do something complex.

> There is a reason to have some topology even for points: a spatial index
> which would make spatial queries and selections much faster.

I believe that Howard & co. have been experimenting with different spatial
index methods for points in the development version of libLAS, with good
results. It's probably worth comparing notes about lessons learned.

Hamish