[GRASS-dev] sponsoring idea

Luca Delucchi lucadeluge at gmail.com
Mon May 30 09:12:46 EDT 2011

2011/5/24 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:
> Hi,

Hi Hamish and sorry for the delay in the answer...

> I am not totally against it (your wording is good) but it gives
> me a bit of a bad feeling to get in people's faces like that.
> How about a new tab in the Help->About wxGUI window?
> From a purely technical point of view, the 3 sec that splash
> screen is there isn't much to remember a full URL, but is enough
> to plant an idea.
>
> (help menu idea taken from the unobtrusive but non-hidden method
> used by the opencpn.org software)

This is true, but all people see it. Maybe in the tab in Help->About
less people can see it. I thought that we have to plan an idea to the
user that they can support GRASS

> I guess it is a spectrum. Our current way may be too hidden and
> miss eyeballs, and at the other end is like GpsBabel which pushes
> you to a donate page before you can download from the website
> from javascript-obfuscated URLs-- that's the sort of thing which
> leaves me with a bad feeling about the software and less likely
> to contribute my spare dev time to help someone else's profits.
>  ..delicate balance.. the most valuable thing we have is the
> goodwill of the community -the codebase would have been dead many
> years ago without it- and we must protect that above all else.

I share your position and I also think that the goodwill of the
community is the base of GRASS GIS.
Find more money can be useful for "community sprint"...

Has someone other ideas or suggestions?

--
my 2 cents
Luca