[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r49204 - grass/trunk/vector/v.info

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 05:27:41 EST 2011

Martin wrote:
> shrug, `-g` is mainly used for shell script output,
> I think it would be better update `r.info` and `v.info` to
> follow this logic, g.region is an exception. You are going to
> the opposite direction!

AFAIR g.region was the original, using -g to display region
bounds in shell script style. later "-g" was added to r.info
and v.info to do the same, and later again "-g" was added to
other modules like r.univar as generic shell script style
alias -- not the other way around! These were mostly added by
MarkusN and myself over the years, although I am very sure
there were others involved too.

r.info -g, v.info -g, g.region -g all show the region in shell
script style and all act the same. it's a good thing and makes
learning the tools easier. IMO it would be a disservice to morph
-g into a shell style dump of all internal variables. it clutters
your working environment.

2c from fuzzy memories of years ago,
Hamish