[GRASS-dev] grass 6.x g.extension install path layout simplification

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 24 02:45:34 EST 2011

Hi,

3 questions for your consideration--

For grass 6.x g.extension.sh installs into GRASS_ADDON_PATH, are there
any objections to installing the addon man pages to e.g.
~/.grass6/addons/docs/man/ instead of ~/.grass6/addons/man/ ? I don't
think anything is depending on that directory layout structure, and it
is an opportunity to make the addons base dir a little cleaner. The html docs
stay in the same place; I don't see anything in wxPy that cares about man
pages; and nothing which references $MANPATH. (although we could have
g.manual try $GRASS_ADDON_PATH/man/man1/ if we agree to use that)

system-wide installations (as root) into the real $GISBASE would
still go to their customary destination.

Also in 6.x's GRASS_ADDON_PATH, as discussed earlier I'd like to get rid
of the symlinks and move the executables from bin/ and script/ into the
main $PATH'd dir. In devbr6 r49343 I've committed some (deactivated) code to
show how that would be done.  comments? criticisms!?

system-wide installations (as root) into the real $GISBASE would
still go to their customary destinations.

Finally, g.extension.sh's central `make` command also adds
-I$TMPDIR/$DIST_DIR/include and -L$TMPDIR/$DIST_DIR/lib. Are those
actually needed by the build?  I see the addon module(s) i.pr has its
own include/, so maybe it is. r.rast4d has its own lib/ but that just
contains some shell scripts.
Keeping the extra search paths does no harm, just adds a bit of
clutter.

If there are no objections for the man page moving and symlink replacement
I'd like to backport that before 6.4.2rc3, aka ASAP.

thanks,
Hamish