[GRASS-dev] t*. modules

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 20 16:28:12 EDT 2011

Hi Martin,
with the temporal extension i introduce new datatypes to grass7:

* space time raster  (tr.*) datasets
* space time vector  (tv.*) datasets
* space time raster3d  (tr3.*) datasets
and in the future
* space time dataset collections (?)

The purpose of the t.* modules is to create, remove, list, support new
datatypes and check the temporal topology. Modules with prefix t.*
support identical functionalities for all new datatypes.  In the long
term the list and remove functionality can be integrated into the
general modules, but not support and topology.

So i would like to keep t.*, tr.*, tv.* and tr3.* as prefix to simply
identify the new datatypes, extending the common r.*, v.* and r3.*
prefixes with a "t".

Besides of that, the temporal Python API supports temporal and spatial
extent operations between the new datatypes as well as temporal
topology functionality. Indeed all temporal and spatial informations
(start time, end time, spatial extent, temporal granularity) are
derived from the registered maps, but the idea is to handle these new
objects as new datatypes. So modules expect these datasets as inputs
and outputs.

Expect new complex spatio-temporal analysis modules handling several
different space time datasets. Having "t.rast." as prefix will reduce
the ability to create short meaningful self explaining module names.
IIRC there is a limit by design how many parts a module name can have.

Best regards
Soeren