[GRASS-dev] renamed "voxel" -> "volume" terminology

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 11:27:14 EDT 2011

2011/9/24 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:
> re. r48435
>
> "voxel" (volumetric pixel) is a standard and specific term which
> should not be changed to the more generic "volume" in places where
> it refers to individual, or collections of individual, 3D cells.
>
> "volume" is more what's inside the faces of a 3D vector space, or
> in describing 3D raster arrays in the general/abstract sense
> (which many of the changes in r48435 seem to be, but I think it is
> useful to introduce the voxel term there as it makes the
> association clear, and there are limited chances to introduce the
> term).

there are plenty of places, where "volume" is used instead of "voxel".
Task for wider discussion, the goal would be to use one term in the
manual pages instead of mixing many. I would prefer "3D raster map or
data" over volume or voxel. "Voxel" is just picture element (as
"pixel" for 2D raster data).

Martin