[GRASS-dev] renamed "voxel" -> "volume" terminology

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Sep 24 16:56:25 EDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/9/24 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:
>> re. r48435
>>
>> "voxel" (volumetric pixel) is a standard and specific term which
>> should not be changed to the more generic "volume" in places where
>> it refers to individual, or collections of individual, 3D cells.
>>
>> "volume" is more what's inside the faces of a 3D vector space, or
>> in describing 3D raster arrays in the general/abstract sense
>> (which many of the changes in r48435 seem to be, but I think it is
>> useful to introduce the voxel term there as it makes the
>> association clear, and there are limited chances to introduce the
>> term).
>
> there are plenty of places, where "volume" is used instead of "voxel".
> Task for wider discussion, the goal would be to use one term in the
> manual pages instead of mixing many. I would prefer "3D raster map or
> data" over volume or voxel. "Voxel" is just picture element (as
> "pixel" for 2D raster data).

For the sake of being found when folks are searching for it,
some level of mixing will be needed to illustrate that voxel and
raster volume is meant to be the same.

Remember that we (will) have vector volumes, too, And r.volume is
also there. So technically voxel will be more clear in many places
with respect to volume.

Markus