[GRASS-dev] PostGIS manager for GRASS GIS

Mohit Kumar mohit.kumarug08 at students.iiit.ac.in
Mon Apr 2 11:11:23 EDT 2012

Hello sir,

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 23:11:04 +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hello Mohit Kumar,
>
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Mohit Kumar
> <mohit.kumarug08 at students.iiit.ac.in> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am interested in making a PostGIS manager in GRASS as a GSoc 2012
>> task.
>> PyGreSQL is a python module that allows easy use of database
>> operation API
>> from a pyhton script. So it will be like a wrapper over
>> the database. This can be done using wxPython and will be OS
>> independent.
>> Sorry to bug you all, but I am very much interested in developing
>> for GRASS.
>>
>> Is anybody willing to mentor ?
>
> there is new development ongoing for this in GRASS 7, perhaps a good
> moment to integrate a manager. Maybe Martin has some insights for
> us over the next days.
>
> Markus

Thanks for your reply.
Its good to know that development is ongoing for this in GRASS, I
sincerely want to work on this as my GSoc task.
I have made a brief idea for the manager. The following are the various
modules of the manager
1. Setup connection : This module will set up the connection with the
remote database. It will take the input parameters from user and pass
them to a connection string. After the connection has been established,
the user will be shown the various tables(maps) that are stored and
other information about the database and the connection
2. View and edit data : This will display the data of the table in a
window frame. One can view the map and modify the table values or the
attributes.
3. Import to GRASS Data : This gives the user an option to save the
data in Grass format for further processing/analysis of the data. This
also gives user an option to discard the data which is of no use.
4. Execute PostGis functions (geometry processing)on database and save
output in grass data format.
5. SQL interface : This provides the advanced user to modify the
database by use of direct SQL commands on the database.
6. Export GRASS data to PostGIS data : Convert the Grass Data to SQL
database. First convert the Grass data to Esri Shapefile(.shp) using OGR
and then converting that data to SQL database (shape2sql).
7. Projection support : I was also thinking of adding projection
support to the manager.
These are the various major points for a spatial database manager I can
think of. Can you please provide me your suggestions.

Looking forward to your support as the time left to apply is very less.

Regards,
--
Mohit Kumar(mohitkharb on irc)
Lab For Spatial Informatics