[GRASS-dev] Introduction and GSoC

Eric Momsen eric.momsen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 00:47:32 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> I personally am a bit weary of increasing dependencies between packages, but
> at the same time, why re-invent the wheel. Integrating the OTB algorithms
> into GRASS would definitely be a great plus.
>
> This said, several FOSS4G programs out there already play the role of
> integrators (e.g. QGIS, gvSIG) and I'm not sure that GRASS should try to go
> the same direction. Generally, I'd say: let GRASS do really well what it
> does, and not try to integrate everything.

This does sound critical to me.  Being "new" to GIS, I have been
struggling to figure out what the differences (strength/weakness/etc)
are between GRASS, QGIS, etc.  I started with GRASS and R and haven't
had time to try out the other programs, so am only comparing based on
what each website describes.  I haven't found any feature comparison
table.  So I am interested to hear what everyone has to say about what
packages should (or should not) be integrated into GRASS vs. what
packages GRASS is integrated into...but I suspect it is a bigger issue
than can be answered in a GSoC project. :)