[GRASS-dev] 3 students accepted for OSGeo Google Summer of Code 2012

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 00:16:37 EDT 2012

Anne  wrote:
> let me welcome our 3 students accepted for Google Summer of
> Code 2012:
>
> - Pietro Zambelli, mentored by Sören Gebbert, on the
>   project "Python high level map interaction for GRASS GIS"
> - Stepan Turek, mentored by Martin Landa, on "GRASS GIS
>   WxGui front end for vector analysis modules"
> - Eric Momsen, mentored by Markus Metz, on "Image
>   Segmentation in GRASS GIS "
>
> I look forward to see them actively interact with the
> community and get into grips with development tools.
>
> [0] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/projects/list/google/gsoc2012
> --
> filter by Project title == GRASS

thanks Anne, and congrats to Pietro, Stepan, and Eric! Unfortunately we
couldn't accept everyone even though all the applications were interesting,
due to lack of slots, matched-mentors, and "strategic alignment" wrt the
code. so don't feel too bad if that was you.

see http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2011/02/flip-bits-not-burgers-student-guide.html

The next couple of weeks are the "community bonding period", where we
get to know and help the students integrate into the development style
and methods we use as the students finish up their exams.  During the
summer all 3 students will be reporting to us weekly with status updates*,
--the more we help them out the more we all get out of it--.

[*] students, please link to your wiki/blog page here, feel free to use
our GRASS wiki, or the trac wiki if you prefer, for that.
  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_SoC_Ideas_2012#Accepted_Ideas

and students should be getting themselves set up to build grass from
source code on their machines and permission to commit to the GRASS addons
Subversion repository. Your mentor will help you with this.

@devs: Pietro's project "Python high level map interaction for GRASS GIS"
does not currently have a backup-mentor that I know of, we need to fix
that. (n.b., we are ALL backup mentors on the -dev list, especially those
of us who have participated in GSoC in the past years, but it's good
to have someone listed there)
Importantly Pietro's project touches some core design decisions which we
as a group will have to discuss and provide guidance on, so @devs please
pay special attention :-)

@everyone: Eric's project "Image Segmentation in GRASS GIS" will also
benefit from everyone throwing in their 2c, earlier rather than later,
about where development effort should go. There is a formal time set out
at GSoC mid-term to re-evaluate the deliverables, but in this case if any
image clustering etc. users have a wish list they've been sitting on, now's
the time to speak up &/or work on refining the Image processing wiki page:
   http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Image_processing

Stepan's "WxGui front end for vector analysis modules" seems like a neat
continuance of our/my clumsier attempts made for the old Tcl/Tk GIS.m GUI.
AFAIK most of the back-end work to make the modules non-interactive at
the command line level is done, so Stepan can focus on the WxPython magic.

congrats again!
Hamish