[GRASS-dev] too many branches

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 00:57:30 PDT 2012

Hi all,

even the GRASS website [0] gets confused about all those branches.
GRASS 6.4.3, the next stable release, is currently hidden under GRASS
6.4.2, current stable. Therefore there should be 4, not 3 sections:
6.4.2, 6.4.3, 6.5, 7.0. This is however IMHO too much, confusing for
users and a maintenance burden for developers. The purpose of the
existence of 6.5 is not clear to me, particularly since it is pretty
much identical to 6.4.3. Using 6.5 as testbed for backporting does not
make sense to me, I would prefer to use the current releasebranch as
testbed for backporting (higher quality, hopefully, and faster bug
fixing). IMHO, it would make maintenance much easier if one of 6.4 and
6.5 would go rather sooner than later.

Markus M

[0] http://grass.osgeo.org/download/software.php