[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #386: Thematic grouping of grass modules in the command line

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Aug 30 01:27:36 PDT 2012

(moving to grass-dev to not clutter the ticket too much)

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:47 PM, GRASS GIS <trac at osgeo.org> wrote:
> #386: Thematic grouping of grass modules in the command line
> Comment(by mlennert):
>  Thanks for all the work on the keywords. At least now things are more
>  consistent. I would have looked first for database, and would probably not
>  have thought of looking for "attribute table" as a keyword, but that's me.

Maybe me too. However, for database we have already
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/html70_user/database.html

No idea what's better.

>  What this does raise as a question is why do we have to limit ourselves to
>  one keyword per module.

It si simply the current technical solution.

> Can't you just create this list with all the key
>  words, with modules appearing under different keywords ? Thus you multiply
>  the chance of people finding the module.

I am not sure: this would lead in the worse case to 400 topic pages.
This is why I (additionally) want the searchable manual (e.g. via sphinx).

>  P.S. Sorry if my comment about my students using the list sounded harsh.

No worries :)

>  I'm aware that this is a new effort, but was a bit surprised that it was
>  published so quickly on the web site. Then again, GRASS7 _is_ a
>  development version.

Right - and remember: as soon as manual changes reach the SVN,
they appear automagically on the Web since the manual is generated
from the weekly binary snapshot.

Markus