[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #1568: 'make install' results in an installation dependent upon temporary build directories

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Tue Feb 7 23:13:17 EST 2012

#1568: 'make install' results in an installation dependent upon temporary build
directories
 Reporter:  helsene       |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  defect        |      Status:  new
      Cpu:  x86-64        |
 I did a compilation of GRASS from the SVN repo on 2.7.12 using Debian
 Squeeze and the instructions given at
 http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#GRASS_7_on_Debian_Squeeze.

 After using 'sudo make install' and having the installation placed in
 /usr/local/grass7.0.svn, the resulting installation still seems to require
 libs in /<checkoutdir>/dist.x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/. Specifically,
 launching the program causes it to look for libgrass_raster.7.0.svn.so in
 the build directory and subsequently throw a 'permission denied' error
 when using GRASS with a user other than the one who did the build.

 This causes issues loading libraries for other users, who get 'permission
 denied' errors when attempting to access the /<checkoutdir>/dist.x86_64
 -unknown-linux-gnu/lib/ directory.

 The workaround is to make the build dirs globally readable, but I'm pretty
 sure this isn't intended behavior. I imagine building and deploying a deb
 package would fail as the checkout directory wouldn't be present on a
 system where the build did not occur.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1568>
GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>