[GRASS-dev] release announcement preparations

glynn at gclements.plus.com glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Feb 11 20:53:10 EST 2012

Hamish wrote:

> fwiw, I notice bzip2 makes a remarkable difference to the file size. I
> wonder if we should switch to it from gzip? (same for the main source
> tarball although I haven't looked at the size difference for that)

bzip2 started displacing gzip about a decade ago for situations where
compression was more important than compatibility. Currently, the
transition is from bzip2 to LZMA. .xz is the standard Unix LZMA
container; .lzma is an older version. .7z (7zip) also uses LZMA, but
it's a complete compression-and-archive format (like .zip or .rar),
while .xz and .lzma are compression-only (like .gz or .bz2).