[GRASS-dev] GRASS and Paraview

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 14 15:17:30 EST 2012

Hi,

2012/2/14 Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>:
> Thanks Markus,
>
> But I don't quite understand how the bridge works. Do you run it from GRASS or ParaView, both or neither (i.e., from the terminal outside either program)?

The vtk-grass-bridge is a C++ library and must be compiled. I did not
test the compilation on Windows or Mac,
but it should work ..... in theory. The library depends on VTK[1],
cmake[2] and of course on GRASS GIS 7.
A detailed compilation guide is available here:
http://code.google.com/p/vtk-grass-bridge/wiki/HowToCompile

Once compiled, the C++ classes can be used together with VTK classes
in GRASS GIS Python modules. Hence, all the shiny data processing
algorithms available in ParaView can be used directly with GRASS GIS
raster, vector and raster3d.
Have a look at the Python examples[3, 4, 5, 6]. Since these modules
are regular GRASS "programs" they must be executed in a grass7 shell.

[1] http://www.vtk.org/
[2] http://www.cmake.org/
[3] http://code.google.com/p/vtk-grass-bridge/source/browse/trunk/Modules/Python/r3.gauss.smooth.py
[4] http://code.google.com/p/vtk-grass-bridge/source/browse/trunk/Modules/Python/v.sample.rast.py