[GRASS-dev] GRASS and Paraview

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 15 13:32:19 EST 2012

Hi Michael,

2012/2/15 Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>:
> Soren,
>
> If I get bold enough to try this, do I need to have source trees of both GRASS and VTK? And if so, do I need to have VTK compiled? I'm using a binary of Paraview but don't have VTK independent of that (AFAIK).

I did not tested it with pre-compiled ParaView/VTK binaries ... but it
should work in theory. You need to make sure that there are VTK shared
libraries and that they are in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH and so the Python
bindings which must be in your PYTHONPATH variable.

But you will need cmake for configuration and a C++ compiler (only
tested with GNU compiler collection C++ compiler). I think there is no
way around the compilation HowTo.

> Also, do I need to put this anywhere in particular or will make install do it for me?

Make install should do the job, as /usr/local is the default
installation location which should be automatically in your path on a
Linux machine.

Best regards
Sören

> Thanks
> Michael
>
> On Feb 14, 2012, at 1:17 PM, Sören Gebbert wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 2012/2/14 Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>:
>>> Thanks Markus,
>>>
>>> But I don't quite understand how the bridge works. Do you run it from GRASS or ParaView, both or neither (i.e., from the terminal outside either program)?
>>
>> The vtk-grass-bridge is a C++ library and must be compiled. I did not
>> test the compilation on Windows or Mac,
>> but it should work ..... in theory. The library depends on VTK[1],
>> cmake[2] and of course on GRASS GIS 7.
>> A detailed compilation guide is available here:
>> http://code.google.com/p/vtk-grass-bridge/wiki/HowToCompile
>>
>> Once compiled, the C++ classes can be used together with VTK classes
>> in GRASS GIS Python modules. Hence, all the shiny data processing
>> algorithms available in ParaView can be used directly with GRASS GIS
>> raster, vector and raster3d.
>> Have a look at the Python examples[3, 4, 5, 6]. Since these modules
>> are regular GRASS "programs" they must be executed in a grass7 shell.
>>
>> [1] http://www.vtk.org/
>> [2] http://www.cmake.org/
>> [3] http://code.google.com/p/vtk-grass-bridge/source/browse/trunk/Modules/Python/r3.gauss.smooth.py
>> [4] http://code.google.com/p/vtk-grass-bridge/source/browse/trunk/Modules/Python/v.sample.rast.py
>> [5] http://code.google.com/p/vtk-grass-bridge/source/browse/trunk/Modules/Python/r3.out.vtk2.py
>> [6] http://code.google.com/p/vtk-grass-bridge/source/browse/trunk/Modules/Python/
>>
>> Best regards
>> Soeren
>>

>>> Also, I assume it must be compiled. Do you (or someone) know if it has been compiled for Windows and Mac as well as Linux?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Michael