[GRASS-dev] GRASS-dev] GRASS Integreated GUI

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Feb 26 14:45:02 EST 2012

On Feb 25, 2012, at 8:01 AM, <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 15:56:11 +0530
> From: Mohammed Rashad <mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com>
> Subject: [GRASS-dev] GRASS Integreated GUI
> To: grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>,
>        Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>,        Markus Neteler
>        <neteler.eden at gmail.com>
>
> Hi Devs,
> I am planning to update dataCatalog now GRASS Catalog for GRASS GIS. Data
> Catalog is bit outdated for grass 6.4. I would like to add GRASS Catalog
> for grass7 for that I need to change all wx.Frame for Map Frame to wx.Panel
>
> I am not wrting more . I would like to know if GRASS developers are
> interested in GRASS Catalog anymore
>

> see a screen here
> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/File:GRASS_Catalog1.png

There are good functional reasons for having the Map Frame as a wx.Frame instead of a wx.Panel. Why would you want to change it?

From your picture, it looks like you have changed the GUI so that you cannot detach the view window from the layer manager window. Is this the case? Or is this just for a catalog window?

While I know that some people would like GRASS to look like ArcGIS, I for one really like being able to have multiple display windows and only a single control window. I would argue very strongly to maintain that display flexibility.

We need to have more information, especially if this involves a major change in the way the interface works and is presented to users.

Michael

> patch here
> http://lsi.iiit.ac.in/grass_addons/GRASSCatalog.tar.gz
>

> I had also filed a ticket
>
> please consider and let me know
> --
> Regards,
>   Rashad

C. Michael Barton
Visiting Scientist, Integrated Science Program
National Center for Atmospheric Research &
University Consortium for Atmospheric Research
303-497-2889 (voice)

Arizona State University