[GRASS-dev] grass toolboxes idea continued (g.extension)

Pietro peter.zamb at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 03:59:54 EST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Maris Nartiss <maris.gis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm not in the mood to digg deeply into this concept. It looks similar
> to R packages, right? Can we borrow most of (design) from R to not
> reinvent the wheel and to learn from their mistakes/success?

Why not use a modified version of pip [0] (a tool for installing and
managing Python packages)?

with Pip you can add/change repository, compile C/Fortran module,
manage dependencies, install from some version control system (use
URLs like hg+http://domain/repo -- or prefix git+, svn+ etc), and
using virtualenv [1].

my 2 cents.

Pietro