[GRASS-dev] grass toolboxes idea continued (g.extension)

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 05:47:30 EST 2012

Hi,

2012/1/3 Maris Nartiss <maris.gis at gmail.com>:

> I'm not in the mood to digg deeply into this concept. It looks similar
> to R packages, right? Can we borrow most of (design) from R to not
> reinvent the wheel and to learn from their mistakes/success?

we share just the idea, I don't know technical solution of providing R
packages so deeply. Anyway there is no so big overlap from my POV
(speaking about technical solution).

> Also, if we have an option to start a new, why limit ourselves to
> single or double letter as toolbox prefix? I assume, all modules in a
> toolbox should have a common prefix, like hy.flow, right?

Not at all, toolbox should be just set of modules, see initial example
for "Hydrology" toolbox. Toolbox is described in XML file [1] which
currently contains name, code, correlate toolboxes and list of
modules, eg.

Hydrology (HY)
* r.stream.basins
* r.stream.channel
* r.stream.distance
* r.stream.extract
* r.stream.order
* r.stream.segment
* r.stream.slope
* r.stream.snap
* r.stream.stats

Currently it means that if you run

g.extension -t ext=HY

it will install all r.stream modules from addons a register them in
GRASS_ADDON_BASE/modules.xml and GRASS_ADDON_BASE/toolboxes.xml. It's
already implemented. What should be done

* g.extension should modify wxGUI menu to add new items for each module
* g.extension should register new toolbar related to the given toolbox.

Any kind of help is very welcomed. Personally I have very limited time
for these tasks.

Martin

[1] https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/grass7/toolboxes.xml