[GRASS-dev] grass toolboxes idea continued (g.extension)

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 3 15:31:25 EST 2012

Since there are at least four major FOSS desktop GIS
projects (GRASS, SAGA, SEXTANTE + gvSIG, QGIS + GRASS plugin),
each of which faces the same problem of sorting geoprocessing
tools into groups, I wonder: Would it be worth the effort
to try to establish a common hierarchy/grouping standard for
for geoprocessing tools across GIS? Sort of like the LSB
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Standard_Base) for
Linux file system hierarchies?

I imagine this would make it much easier for users to work
with different FOSS GIS and always find the tools they need.

A common standard could also include labels and descriptions,
plus their translations into different languages, and of
course icons for GUIs.

Ben

--
Benjamin Ducke