[GRASS-dev] v.info: projection info wrong

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 22 15:17:25 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2012/1/21 Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com>:
>> Yes, because "Vect_get_proj_name() and _zone() are typically unset?!"
>
> it should be set [1] by Vect__open_old(). Probably when creating
> vector map this information should be stored in head file? And then
> checked when opening vector map if it's same with location projection
> settings?

I disagree. The projection of a vector or raster map is the projection
of the current GRASS location. The only reason I can think of for
storing the projection info in the vector head file is when a vector
is packed (v.pack) for export and unpacked (v.unpack) into a new
location. But 1) the projection is not stored in the vector head file
which does not make sense anyway in normal operation, 2) v.pack and
v.unpack could store e.g. a proj4 or WKT string in the package and
check upon unpacking if unpacking is legal.

my2c

Markus M