[GRASS-dev] limits of r.patch

Margherita Di Leo dileomargherita at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 06:45:25 PDT 2012

Hi Helmut,

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:

> using GDAL Virtual Format [1] by building a virtual dataset by
> gdalbuildvrt?
>
> it's really a nice gdal utility:
>
> no need to patch all ASTER GDEM tiles within grass, just import the virtual
> dataset by r.in.gdal or link it by r.external
>

> [1] http://www.gdal.org/gdal_vrttut.html
> [2] http://www.gdal.org/gdalbuildvrt.html

I decided to follow your hint and explore the way of gdalbuildvrt. I'm
using:

gdalbuildvrt -input_file_list
/home/leomarg/Desktop/aster/elenco_aster_europa \
/home/leomarg/Desktop/aster/mosaic.vrt

and the process takes only few seconds, without complaining. The problem
raises when i try to import it in GRASS:

r.external input=/home/leomarg/Desktop/aster/mosaic.vrt output=mosaic

Projection of input dataset and current location appear to match
Importing band 1 of 1...
ERROR 4: `ASTGTM_N33E000_dem_lzw.tif' does not exist in the file system,
and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

Link to raster map <mosaic> created

r.info map=mosaic
 | Layer:    mosaic                         Date: Tue Jul 17 15:43:08
2012    |
 | Mapset:   PERMANENT                      Login of Creator:
leomarg         |
 | Location:
ASTER_GDEM                                                       |
 | DataBase:
/forest/GRASS/grassdata                                          |
 | Title:     ( mosaic
)                                                      |
 | Timestamp:
none                                                            |

 |   Type of Map:  raster               Number of Categories:
0               |
 |   Data Type:
CELL                                                       |
 |   Rows:
140401                                                     |
 |   Columns:
198001                                                     |
 |   Total Cells:
27799538401                                                |
 |        Projection:
Latitude-Longitude                                      |
 |            N: 72:00:00.5N    S: 32:59:59.5N   Res:
0:00:01                 |
 |            E: 44:00:00.5E    W: 11:00:00.5W   Res:
0:00:01                 |
 |   Range of data:    min = 0  max =
0                                       |

 |   Data
 |    generated by
r.external                                                 |

Comments:                                                                |
 |    r.external input="/home/leomarg/Desktop/aster/mosaic.vrt"
output="mo\   |

saic"                                                                   |

what am i missing?

Thanks!

--
Dr. Margherita Di Leo