[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-user] please help review osgeo live dvd summary docs

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 23:36:52 PDT 2012

Helena wrote:
> thanks for pointing it out - there was a lot of stuff that I
> did not know  was there, it should be cleaned up now, please
> let me know if you still find something or if there are any
> problems.
> http://courses.ncsu.edu/mea792/common/media/gisdemo.zip

ok, thanks. should we copy that into
   http://grass.osgeo.org/sampledata/north_carolina/

as .tar.gz too?  keeping the same filename?

> Also, I can export the data into some external formats -
> perhaps shape files and geotiff? in case somebody would
> like to use it with other software.

We are already doing that for NC shape, rast_geotiff, and kml
tarballs at the above sampledata/ URL. The cloning of the data
was one reason I felt pretty shaky about shipping the full NC
grass Location in addition to the shp/gtiff files.

Also along with selected Natural Earth data layers, an
OpenStreetMap data extract, and links to a bunch of other
random shapefiles and geotiffs that other projects supply
as part of their quickstart docs, all in a ~/data/ directory.
Finally, there's an icon on the Desktop which leads to a OSGeo
website listing links to geodata & courseware downloads needed
for various workshops and tutorials that were too big to fit on
the disc or not ready at the time the discs went to press.

Hamish