[GRASS-dev] more on locale problem - workaround success!

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Sat Jul 28 10:16:04 PDT 2012

So that means that GRASS must just deal with the possibility that locale settings might or might not be mucked up. This means that the plan to set this explicitly in the GUI is a very good way to go. It just needs to be fixed. If others are out on vacation, I might be able to fix this. But I've got 2 dissertations to read and I don't want to rush the fix and mess up something else.

Michael

On Jul 28, 2012, at 10:06 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2012, at 11:56 AM, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> So by default, my LANG is set but none of the other locale variables are set. For Carlos, LC_CTYPE is set (incorrectly??) and nothing else (including LANG) is set.
>> Neither one of us have explicitly set any of these locale variables prior to hitting this issue. Since another Spanish colleague (Agustin) also reported problems, I wonder if this is something that is "normal" for Spanish-enabled Macs.
>
> Note that LANG is set automatically by Terminal.app if the Advanced preference "Set locale environment variables on startup" is checked.  But, of course, this is useless if the system sets LC_CTYPE somewhere.
>
> I have doubts that it is something specific to Spanish or other non-English systems.  Others that have reported this in the past have had problems on English systems and some non-English system users have not had the problem.
>
> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> "I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."
>
> - Marvin

C. Michael Barton
Visiting Scientist, Integrated Science Program
National Center for Atmospheric Research &
University Consortium for Atmospheric Research
303-497-2889 (voice)

Arizona State University