[GRASS-dev] graph function input limitations

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 01:33:48 PST 2012

Hi

I am working with the r.mapcalc graph function. When the input (number
of xy pairs) is very high, I am getting an error message:

"memory exhausted
Parse error
ERROR: parse error"

The largest possible number of xy pairs seems to be somewhere between
2400 and 2500. It runs with 2400 xy pairs, and pretty fast for that
matter. Memory usage doesn't go beyond 1.5GB with 2400 xy pairs, while I
have 12GB RAM (on 64bit Linux computer), so I guess RAM isn't the
limitation here.

In the help page of r.series, there is a mention of a soft limit of 1024
files. Does something similar apply here (but with different numbers)?

I can actually work around it, using a approximation of the graph
function, but would like to know at what number of xy pairs I should
apply the workaround. Particularly important, is the limit the same for
all users, or if not, what would be a safe limit? Or is there a way to
set this limit from within a script?

Cheers,

Paulo