[GRASS-dev] vector network questions

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 12:04:19 PDT 2012

First of all, thanks for using GRASS network analysis tools in a
course, Michael!

I have updated the manual for v.net, explaining the different
operation options in some more detail.

I have updated the manuals of many of the v.net.* modules last year,
testing and if necessary fixing bugs in the v.net.* modules.
Apparently, my updates to the manuals were not sufficient for you. You
object to the use of stdin pipes | which AFAICT work on Linux, Mac,
and Windows. We can update the manuals to not use stdin pipes such
that the creation of a text file in your favourite text editor is
suggested first, then use this file as input for the modules affected.

An IMHO more serious issue for GRASS 7 is the need to change the
manuals to use examples from the North Carolina sample dataset, not
from the spearfish dataset. But using e.g. streets_wake from the North
Carolina sample dataset can cause out-of-memory errors in some v.net.*
modules, for which there is no easy fix. The vector map roadsmajor is
OTOH too simple to demonstrate GRASS vector network capabilities. We
would need something like roadsmajor for all of North Carolina.

Markus M