[GRASS-dev] dateutil dependency killing GRASS 7

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Wed Oct 17 13:17:04 PDT 2012

I just tried grass7 binary compiled by Michael and the isosurfaces
indeed crash the gui. The attached screenshot shows the error message.

I did not have time to compile 6.4.3 and 7 on MasOSX 10.7.5 myself yet,
but as I mentioned before I have the isosurfaces running in GRASS7
compiled in august on 10.6 .

Helena

Also, When switching to 3d for the first time I get and error, but it
ran after switching to 2d and 3d again:

Starting 3D view mode...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/GRASS/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/etc
/gui/wxpython/mapdisp/toolbars.py", line 231, in
OnSelectTool

self.parent.AddNviz()
  File "/Applications/GRASS/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/etc
/gui/wxpython/mapdisp/frame.py", line 299, in AddNviz

Map = self.Map, tree = self.tree, lmgr = self._layerManager)
  File "/Applications/GRASS/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/etc
/gui/wxpython/nviz/mapwindow.py", line 154, in __init__

self.decoration['arrow']['size'] = self._getDecorationSize()
  File "/Applications/GRASS/GRASS-7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/etc
/gui/wxpython/nviz/mapwindow.py", line 1177, in
_getDecorationSize

size = self._display.GetLongDim() / 8.
AttributeError
:
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'GetLongDim'

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu> wrote:
> This seems like a good idea. Gives us time to think about the value and costs of using and bundling dateutil.
>
> Michael Barton
> School of Human Evolution &Social Change
> Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Arizona State University
>
> ...Sent from my iPad
>
> On Oct 17, 2012, at 11:34 AM, "Moritz Lennert" <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
>
>> On 17/10/12 13:21, Sören Gebbert wrote:
>>> Hi Michael,
>>> sorry to introduce something painful as a python-dateutil dependency.
>>> My fault. I should have discussed this on the list indeed.
>>>
>>> I have completely removed the dateutil dependency from the temporal
>>> GIS in r53435. For now
>>> only two types of calendar time stings are supported for parsing.
>>
>> Do you really have to remove it completely ? Can't you check for its presence and if not present fall back on the basic date version ? And put a hint in the manuals about its installation being strongly recommended ?
>>
>> Moritz

Helena Mitasova
Associate Professor
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208