[GRASS-dev] r.modis in GRASS 7 trunk

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Tue Oct 30 21:47:24 PDT 2012

Hi,
I'm with Helena, Glynn and Ben,
I think that having many module in one package is better for users that do
not have to take care of anything else.
If I have GRASS installed, I can find anything there (without need
of searching for additional modules that are not found in the manuals!).

And the criteria to add a module in the trunk should not be the frequency
of usage, but the quality of the code: I would like to see in the trunk any
module well written, without bug even if seldom used.

Maxi

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2012/10/30 Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at ncsu.edu>:
> > I agree with Glynn and Ben,
> > when working with students on 50+ different projects it is really great
> to have everything
> > in one package and not to worry about which additional tool to install
> and whether it will work with the latest release.
> > We used to have the code split into core, alpha and several other groups
> and it was pain to maintain,
> > I think it works much better now and the toolbox concept should be
> implemented at the GUI level.
>
> sure on the other hand all GRASS modules included in trunk (or main
> branch) should be solid, well tested and actively *maintained*. Note
> that the GRASS development team is relatively small.
>
> > Maybe PSC should have some mechanism to decide on which add-ons to move
> to trunk based on a defined set of criteria.
>
> We definitely need to define some criteria. Probably we should also
> review which addons modules should go to trunk (well written,
> maintained), and which should go from trunk to addons (not maintained,
> rarely used, seriously broken).
>
> >From my POV, r.modis or r.streams.* modules are examples of the
> modules which should go to trunk.
>
> Martin
>
> --
> Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa

Dr. Eng. Massimiliano Cannata
Responsabile Area Geomatica
Istituto Scienze della Terra
Scuola Universitaria Professionale della Svizzera Italiana
Via Trevano, c.p. 72
CH-6952 Canobbio-Lugano
Tel: +41 (0)58 666 62 14
Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09