[GRASS-dev] could r.stream.* become part of GRASS core?

Margherita Di Leo dileomargherita at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 23:42:01 PDT 2012

Ciao Enrico,

I agree that the quality of the r.stream.* modules is out of question. For
what concerns including it into the core, I would like to point you out the
discussion [1] about the concept of toolboxes. The general orientation is
not to include field specific groups of modules into the core and make them
available in an easy way when required. In case you meet any issue
concerning the installation of the add-ons, please do not hesitate to
report to the list or file a ticket.

Ciao

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Toolboxes

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Enrico Gallo <enrico.gallo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> as user involved in hydrological analysis, I think r.stream.* modules
> are essential tools in GRASS GIS.
> Their availability filled in the empty space left by the Horton
> Machine / Fruid Turtles library (by prof. Rigon and his fantastic
> team) no more supported for GRASS GIS.
>
> Quality, scientific value and great performances of r.stream.*
> algorithms it’s out of the question, IMHO
> Looking in the user mailing list and searching on the web can confirm
> that many users really appreciate those modules even if some people
> have trouble with the AddOns installation process.
>
> So, could those modules be part of Grass core in the next releases?
> As part of GRASS GIS core, I think they could be fruitfully become
> available also in the QGIS GRASS toolbox.
>
> Regards,
> Enrico

Margherita DI LEO
Postdoctoral Researcher