[GRASS-dev] compilation of grass on AIX 7.1

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Apr 1 23:47:09 PDT 2013

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Compilation issues:
>
> main.c: In function 'main':
> main.c:22: error: storage size of 't' isn't known

 => struct timeval

> /afs/mycluster/user/private/software/grass-7.0.svn_src_snapshot_2013_03_22/dist.powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0/include/grass/defs/gis.h:579:
> error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'off_t'

 => off_t

It appears that AIX uses something other than _POSIX_C_SOURCE to
enable the POSIX declarations (which -ansi will disable).

The question is: what does it use?

If we don't have anyone who is able and willing to put in the
(relatively minor) effort to figure that out, then AIX "support" (for
any reasonable definition of that term) is impractical. Even if we can
get it to compile, even quite trivial run-time problems will be
insurmountable.