[GRASS-dev] Export from GRASS to Postgres

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 06:55:53 PDT 2013

Hi,

2013/4/3 suprakash maitra <suprakashmaitra at yahoo.com>:
> I am trying to export GRASS maps/mapsets to PostgreSQL.At the time of
> installation of GRASS ,I have configured it with Postgres.
> The command used is:
> v.out.ogr -c input=fields type=area 'dsn=PG:host=localhost dbname=grass
> user=grassuser password=grassuser' olayer=fields2postgis layer=1
> format=PostgreSQL

`v.out.ogr` is using OGR library. In other words, GRASS must be
compiled with OGR support and your OGR installation must be compiled
with PostgreSQL support. Check available formats with

$ ogrinfo --formats | grep PostgreSQL
  -> "PostgreSQL" (read/write)

then v.out.ogr comes also with `format=PostgreSQL`.

In GRASS 7 you could try also a new module `v.out.postgis` which
allows to export GRASS vector maps to PostGIS without OGR library
(GRASS must be compiled with PostgreSQL support). This module also
allows to export vector data to PostGIS Topology [1] (under
development).

Martin

[1] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/PostGIS_Topology