[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7: d.vect needs a dedicated GUI

Anna Kratochvílová kratochanna at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 23:23:56 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> (deriving this from " Re: [GRASS-dev] could r.stream.* become part of
> GRASS core?"
>
> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Very much straying offtopic now, I'd also advocate a series of
>> wrapper scripts to run from GUI buttons for simple-mode d.vect.
>> (see also my d.* helper/wrapper scripts in g6 addons like d.varea,
>> d.stations, and d.mark)  I feel the current d.vect GUI window
>> is a bit overwhelming, but that's no reason to break up the base
>> module, since wrapper scripts can handle the "simple views",
>> and the full d.vect module gui could be there for "advanced"
>> mode.
>
> I fully agree. Just today I tried the current wxGUI d.vect dialog window
> (usually I use cmd line) and found it hard to find things since they
> are in different tabs while belonging together.

So is it possible to improve first the d.vect dialog?

And what should the custom gui look like? It should probably provide
all the options but better organized (e.g. symbology containing
symbols, colors, lines...) and some less important features should be
hidden (collapsible pane).

Should there be also a dedicated gui for d.rast? I don't like the
possible inconsistency here.

Anna