[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7: GIS Library Revision info needed?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 9 13:46:40 PDT 2013

Markus N wrote:
> from a current question in the grass-gui list:
> "...GIS Library Revision is 45934 (2011-4-13)..."
>
> I wonder if we need to keep this info in g.version. I find
> it rather confusing. The SVN revision is the better (and
> relevant) information.
>
> Can we (please) ditch this "GIS Library Revision" output?

Hi,

that is the one which needs to be consistent for e.g. locally
compiled modules to work with the current GRASS's libgis API.
Also, that one is guaranteed to be there, but perhaps the svn-
version one is not? (e.g. in the release tarballs there are no
.svn/ dirs for ./configure to query about the overall rev #,
but GIS_H_VERSION date is embedded in gis.h at commit time)

maybe the error message if you try to run an api-mismatched
module gives all the info already, or maybe the description
of what it is could be better worded to show the data by a
less confusing to non-devs way?

note also discussion about this in the g.version ticket on trac.

Hamish