[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7: GIS Library Revision info needed?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Apr 10 06:09:26 PDT 2013

Markus Neteler wrote:

> from a current question in the grass-gui list:
> "...GIS Library Revision is 45934 (2011-4-13)..."
>
> I wonder if we need to keep this info in g.version. I find it rather
> confusing. The SVN revision is the better (and relevant) information.
>
> Can we (please) ditch this "GIS Library Revision" output?

The SVN revision is only available if GRASS was built from a source
tree obtained from SVN (as opposed to e.g. a snapshot tarball) and if
the svnversion program is installed on the build system.

And if you do "svn update ; make clean ; make" (without re-running
configure), the reported SVN revision will be that at the time that
configure was last run, not that of the code being compiled.

The gis.h version is always available, reflects the version of gis.h
being used (regardless of when configure was run), and (as Hamish
points out) is the version used for the libgis consistency check.

If you don't want to know the gis.h version, don't use the -r flag,
but there's no good reason to remove that functionality.