[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #1428: WinGRASS + how to deliver Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package (vcredist)?

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Mon Apr 15 20:18:55 PDT 2013

#1428: WinGRASS + how to deliver Microsoft Visual C++  Redistributable Package
(vcredist)?
 Reporter:  dhastings     |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  defect        |      Status:  new
      Cpu:  x86-64        |

Comment(by hamish):

 Hamish:
 > Our next step seems to be some quality time spent exploring
 > with Dependency Walker..

 ok, done a bit of that, it seems that we need the full set of
 redistributables.
 A small sample from dragging the dlls into depends.exe:
 {{{
 libgrass_gis6.4.3snv.dll        req's  msvcrt.dll
 libgrass_gis6.4.3snv.dll        req's  msvcp60.dll
 zlib1.dll       req's  msvcrt.dll
 libpq.dll       req's  msvcrt.dll
 libpq.dll       req's  msvcp60.dll
 libpq.dll       req's  msvcr71.dll
 libpq.dll       req's  msvcr80.dll
 libxml2.dll     req's  msvcp60.dll
 zlib_osgeo.dll  req's  msvcr71.dll
 proj.dll        req's  msvcr71.dll
 tk85.dll        req's  msvcr90.dll
 geotiff.dll     req's  msvcp90.dll
 geos_c.dll      req's  msvcp100.dll
 geos_c.dll      req's  msvcr100.dll
 gdal19.dll      req's them all
  as does gdal18.dll and gdal15.dll
 }}}

 (what depends on gdal18.dll and gdal15.dll? can we leave them out saving
 10mb?)

 So even if Ben's osgeo4w toolchain were all compiled without MS Visual
 Studio, we'd still need the redistributables for PgSQL & co. which we
 aren't building ourselves.

 msvcp60.dll and msvcrt.dll are in my C:\Windows\system32\ already, maybe
 they ship with Windows by default? (or maybe I installed them, dunno at
 this point)

 many things would like to find MSJAVA.DLL, but it isn't there.
 But that's not a problem because it's called by MSHTML.DLL which can
 deal with it being missing. (see Dependency Walker FAQ)

 As Helmut notes in the GRASS-Installer.nsi.tmpl text about the MSVC++
 redist. pkg both python.exe and GDAL19.dll require MSVCP100.dll, this is
 the error I get on wxGUI startup on an old XP install:
 {{{
 python.exe - Unable To Locate Component
 This application has failed to start because MSVCP100.dll was not found.
 Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
 [Ok]
 }}}

 g.region.exe, g.proj.exe, fail since they both depend on libgrass_gproj,
 which wants gdal19.dll, which wants msvcp100.dll.. that means the tcl/tk
 GUI also fails with:
 {{{
 g.proj or projection error: child killed: unknown signal
 Error setting region (Problem with g.region?): child killed: unknown
 signal
 }}}

 Hamish

--