[GRASS-dev] a minor but annoying bug just discovered with switching mapsets

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Feb 4 09:45:22 PST 2013

Michael Barton wrote:

> I just realized that if you change to a new mapset using g.mapset
> and then quit (properly), the mapset you changed to with g.mapset
> appears as locked the next time you try to open it. This is in
> trunk, but may affect other versions.

It affects every version since the lock file was moved from $HOME to
the mapset directory (r12779) and g.mapset was added (r12822), between
5.4.0 and 6.0.0beta1.

The startup script creates the .gislock file in the initial mapset
directory. After the session shell terminates, it removes the lock
file which it created.

g.mapset creates a lock file in the new mapset directory and removes
the lock file from the old mapset directory.

For 7.0, I suggest updating the global "lockfile" variable in
lib/init/grass.py based upon the contents of the $GISRC file after the
session (shell, GUI, batch job) has finished.