[GRASS-dev] does GRASS 7 for Mac compile yet?

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Tue Feb 5 09:15:54 PST 2013

I recommend NOT installing a 3rd party Python.

OS X 10.7 and 10.8 already come with Python 2.6 and 2.7 installed. My installation instructions, worked out with William Kyngesburye are designed so that GRASS will work with Python 2.6 and OS X 10.6 (which many people still use).

I get a series of "errors" during compiling that say 'can't find wx'. But these are bogus. All the affected modules (e.g., mapswipe) work fine.

If you cannot launch the GUI there is some kind of different problem.

1) What OS are you using? If you have OS X 10.6, you need to follow different instructions from what I said. Also, you need the 10.6 SDK's in order to compile a version that works on 10.6 if you are running 10.8.
2) Often a failure to launch is actually traceable to an out of date GDAL version, though this should not be a problem if you are compiling yourself.
3) Another reason for a launch failure is a mismatch between the location of wxPython in the configure script and where it really is located on your computer.

You might try to download my GRASS 7 binary, compiled Sunday night, and see if it runs with all the proper frameworks installed (these are also on the site).

You can find it at <http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_mac/OSX10.6-snowleopard/>

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www: 	http://csdc.asu.edu, http://shesc.asu.edu
		http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton