[GRASS-dev] reg i.pca module

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Wed Feb 6 16:11:39 PST 2013

On Wednesday 06 of February 2013 23:19:36 Rashad M wrote:

> Hi All,

Hi Rashad!

> i.pca outputs raster bands and the pixel values are transformed obivously.
> But anyone can tell me how the transformation works
>
> if a pixel P1 has value X after i.pca it will be Y
>
> Is there any specific math equation that is applied to every pixel by PCA?

For sure. There are two _good_ grassy-sources to start with:

1. the i.pca's manual
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/i.pca.html

2.the GRASS-Wiki page explains all one needs to know -- even if it requires
some clean-up
<http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Principal_Components_Analysis>

And, of course (sorry for insisting and self-advertising) my work (available
at the link I've PMed to you).  I've put a lot of effort to compile material &
explain what PCA is, what it does and how it does it.  It would be really
nice, for me, to have some feedback if it helps, in any way, to understand
PCA.

If you had a look and found the material useless, please, be so kind and tell
me so -- strait (PM or ML, the same).  I'd really like to know what you think
as I am planing to continue this effort in time, and expand it.

Best, Nikos