[GRASS-dev] r.statistics in G7

Margherita Di Leo dileomargherita at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 07:21:11 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 3:20 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

> support

> Glynn wrote:
> >> r.statistics2 and r.statistics3 are intended to replace r.statistics.
> >> But those two modules have almost nothing in common. r.statistics2
> >> calculates statistics which are based upon accumulators (i.e. count,
> >> sum of x^n, sum of (x-mean)^n), while r.statistics3 calculates
> >> quantiles.
> >>
> >> If you want a work-alike replacement for r.statistics, it would be
> >> simpler to create a script which just runs r.statistics2 and/or
> >> r.statistics3 to do the work.
> >>
> >> In the event that you want both types of statistics, there could be
> >> some efficiency gains to be had by merging the two, but only at the
> >> cost of creating a module which is noticeably more complex than the
> >> sum of its parts.
> >

> Madi:
> > Thank you for the explanation! I perfectly agree that it's better to
> > keep a couple of modules instead of a very complex one. But from the
> > user's POV their names at the moment are not very informative. If you
> > consider also r.stats... how could the user guess what's the purpose of
> > them all at the first glance? Perhaps names like r.stats.*, where * is
> > the particular function that they perform, would be a bit easier to
> > understand (?)
>
> perhaps -> r.stats.cover and r.stats.quantile?
>
> we should also add r.stats (and perhaps r.univar) into this discussion.
> r.stats -> r.stats.summary ?

+1

Thanks,
madi

--
Best regards,

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.