[GRASS-dev] Status of r.cva?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 2 16:51:11 PDT 2013

Nikos wrote:

> a friend needs to use r.cva [0,1] (and r.viewshed [2]). What is the status of
> this add-on?  Does it also work in G7?  Only in G64 and previous releases?
> [0] Link <https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/grass6/raster/r.cva/> does not exist anymore!
>
> [1] only here: <http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~tcrnmar/GIS/r.cva.html> ?

As I understand it, Mark's employer (university) would not let him
release the work as GPL-compatible. Otherwise the module would have
replaced r.los in the main GRASS source distribution years ago, and
their institution would have been cited many many times from it, but
oh well, he tried a number of times to convince them.

Considering universities like Johns Hopkins and Columbia literally
generate billions of dollars licensing IP (typically bio-med), and
how underfunded most educational institutions are, you can understand
a bit why the suits at other universities around the world have a
hard time seeing very far past the $ signs for anything and everything.
:-/

Hamish