[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS 7 tech-preview release preparations

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Jul 12 06:21:45 PDT 2013

On 12/07/13 12:47, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Moritz Lennert

> Due to the showstoppers (solved meanwhile?) we could not get the
> tech preview ready in Bucharest.
>
> /me travelling to Prague in this moment
>
>>> I agree that this would be the perfect occasion to work on the tech
>>> preview. Then again, I think that 6.4.3 should have the priority and if
>>> that is not released by then, maybe the sprinters should concentrate on
>>> it. Obviously the two are not mutually exclusive...
>>
>> Sorry, got confused between different sprints. Actually meant:
>> http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Community_Sprint_Prague_2013
>
> So, the next attempt will be done these days in Prague!

I agree that now the rc4 is out for 6.4.3 we can probably start
diverting developer resources to the grass7 preview release. But only if
that doesn't slow down the final release of 6.4.3...

Main issues I see for grass7 currently to get it preview-release ready:

- the python issues in wingrass (notably how to correctly install python
to be able to launch scripts and addons)

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/580
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1871

- db connection issues in wingrass

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1844
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1866 (seems fixed to me)

- locale (+ encoding) handling

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1941
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2021
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1288
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1609

- modules not launching gui automatically

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1778

- LFS handling in Windows

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1131 (not sure I understand where we
are at with this)

> BTW:
> http://www.heise.de/open/artikel/Die-Woche-1-fuer-schnelle-Veroeffentlichungen-1916127.html
> -->  new release-often cycle of Firefox positively discussed

I think that once 6.4.3 and the grass7 preview-release are out, we
should work on a more structured release process.

At least for grass7 tech previews, it might be worth thinking about a
release early, release often strategy, while clearly declaring these
release as what they are, i.e. without absolute guarantee of stability.

Moritz