[GRASS-dev] start grass with only initializing the environment

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 23 03:00:33 PDT 2013

Rainer wrote:

>  I would therefore suggest an additional startup argument for grass,
>  which only sets the environmental variables, including library paths,
>  so that GRASS commands can be executed afterwards,

just make your own batch file or function(){} for /etc/bash.bashrc?

> and if the LOCATION_NAME and MAPSET are not provided, they will be
> null and *have  to be set manualy afterwards*.

that doesn't sound like a practice we should promote.

what part of the start up are you trying to avoid? ('grass64 -text'
works in 6 too, or 'g.gui text' to avoid the gui at startup)

see also the usage for GRASS_BATCH_JOB, which basically does that in
a non-interactive environment.

Hamish