[GRASS-dev] compilation of grass on AIX 7.1

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Mar 15 10:02:40 PDT 2013

Markus Neteler wrote:

> <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The OS detection scripts are actually quite different.
>
> I looked into config.guess and config.sub which I thought would do this
> job.

The detection scripts (config.guess and config.sub) are provided by
autoconf. The SC_CONFIG_CFLAGS macro which sets the variables related
to compilation and linking is part of GRASS. The 6.x version of
SC_CONFIG_CFLAGS doesn't actually use the results of the detection
scripts, but the output from "uname".

> > Support for AIX
> > and various other platforms has been removed in GRASS 7.
>
> Any particular reason for that?

The SC_CONFIG_FLAGS macro was originally copied in its entirety from
Tcl/Tk. It was designed for Tcl/Tk's build system, not GRASS', was
quite old, used "uname" instead of $host (so cross-compiling was
impossible), and few of the "supported" platforms had actually been
tested.

r39731 re-wrote it to use $host. Rather than trying to figure out the
correct $host value for each possible system (few of which were
available for testing), the sections for "unused" systems were
removed, with the intent that they would be added if and when someone
with access to such a system was able to report the correct $host
value and which compiler/linker switches actually worked on that
system.