[GRASS-dev] Using "trac" is difficult

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 13:15:45 PDT 2013

Maybe, it is time to some markup support overview...

On 20 March 2013 20:31, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 March 2013 18:33, Nikos Alexandris <nik at nikosalexandris.net> wrote:
>> Sure, but why I see for example the supposed list build with a *  in front of
>> each line not being a list?  (shrug)
>>
>> e.g.  http://picpaste.com/in_trac_asterisks_not_building_a_list-NHQQRYVm.png
>>
>> Shouldn't the list be built automagically?
>
> The space before the star is mandatory.
>
> Different syntax than other systems, sorry.

The first level is the same for Wikimedia, Markdown and ReST,
unfortunately not for Trac.
* This is item 1
* This is item 2
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickref.html#bullet-lists
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown#Lists
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Wiki_markup#Lists

Trac uses MoinMoin
 * This is item 1
 * This is item 2
http://moinmo.in/HelpOnMoinWikiSyntax#Lists

If you really want to use ReST it is possible to to use
WikiPreprocessors at Trac.
{{{
#!rst
* This is item 1
* This is item 2
}}}
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/WikiProcessors

With textile installed it would support also textile. With some Trac
Markdown extension, Trac would support also Markdown preprocessor. I
wouldn't vote for textile, but Markdown can be considered since it is
supported also by Doxygen (however, not used in grass sources). But
basically, there is no point to not use ReST.

It is bad that you need to know Mediawiki syntax and Trac Wiki or ReST
syntax to contribute to GRASS. Even worse that for manual pages you
need to know some basic HTML and for programming manual Doxygen
syntax. Currently, I don't see any way to avoid it.

And I forgot, Trac of course supports also HTML preprocessor:
{{{
#!html
<ul>
<li></li>