[GRASS-dev] Quiet module output

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 03:18:02 PDT 2013

Hi,

thank you for the hint with GRASS_VERBOSE...

GRASS_VERBOSE
[all modules]
toggles verbosity level
0 - only errors and warnings are printed
1 - progress messages are printed (percent complete)
2 - all module messages are printed
3 - additional verbose messages are printed
This variable is automatically created by g.parser so that the
--verbose or --quiet flags will be inherited by dependent modules as
the script runs.

What is still unclear to me: Setting the --quiet flag in a script
using g.parser (what I am doing) automatically sets the GRASS_VERBOSE
variable to 1? I'd like to get all grass_fatal(_()) error messages of
my own script but no progress message for all dependent modules in the
script (GRASS_VERBOSE=0). So how can I set the GRASS_VERBOSE to "0"
for a script so it is inherited to all underlying modules, as it seems
there is no g.parser flag provided for "0"? Therefore, is e.g.
g.gisenv set="GRASS_VERBOSE=0" before running the script or including
that line within the script the way to go?

/johannes