[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.4.3 release planning

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat May 25 03:31:18 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> time for the weekend update,
>
> Hamish wrote:
>> fwiw, my to-fix list is now shorter, the main thing remaining
>> IMO is to get the location wizard working correctly with proj
>> 4.8.0. (the datum transform opts were getting reset to the new
>> proj4 defaults regardless of what you selected) There are so many
>> combinations and permutations that every change means many things
>> to re-test and verify, e.g. I haven't even tested from a file or
>> .prj,.wkt at all yet, and that it doesn't break for older proj4s.
>
> (i.e. test the new changes don't break was working with proj 4.7.0)
>
>> --please everyone help test, bad new location def'ns mean
>> all the work that happens after is also broken--
>
> changes now ported to all branches.

Good - no break was reported in the past 7 days.

> breakage:
>
> #1849: g.proj datum transforms broken for epsg and proj4 terms
>   (g.proj needed -t flag (as a hack-around) for datum transforms)

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1849#comment:13
So most issues should be addressed, right?

> #1967: wxPy loc'n wiz: doesn't allow ellipsoid without datum
>  --both now in svn, please help test the local projections you know.
>    You need to check the final result, not just the wizard Summary.
>    If the location setup terms are bad from offset, we break people's
>    data silently, ... ouch, first impression of the software too in
>    case it tracebacks.

Am I right that r56172 still needs to be backported to relbranch? I
don't think that waiting helps since just a few people use devbranch6.

> #1428: still some missing some dlls (were in earlier pkges)
>  --needs Dependency Walker testers to experiement on diff't Windows
>    versions, with the %PATH% fully set drag dlls from extralibs/+
>    onto depends.exe and look for big red "X"s. -> msvcr{80,90}.dll
>    another important due to first impressions issue.
>    what controls which dlls are packaged in extralib/?

... I don't think that this one is critial since no complaints came. The
recent installer enhancement appear to have addressed most issues.

MartinL? https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1971#comment:7

> #943: cairo rendering fixes
>  --Prefences > rendering mode > cairo in grass 6.x doesn't work!!

Opened 3 years ago, hence a "nice to have" fix which should not
block the release. We are withholding too many goodies if we don't
release 6.4.3 soon.

> cleanup/wish-to-dos:
>
> #1952: package 'more.exe' with msys (pager for g.list)
>         (also +tac.exe +seq.exe +xml2.exe and maybe +wget.exe)
>  --what controls what unix powertools are packaged in extrabin/?

See also ticket #1275 (about zip.exe)

> #1936a: Move "Click here to show search module engine" to "Search module"
>         tab, freeing up valuable screen real estate for the output text
>         window & making the gui tab-to-be-in more logical.
>  --discussion and wxGUI authors buy-in needed

... hence unrelated to the 6.4.3 release.

> #854: building addons on Mac (assume we can handle post-release in pkg'ing)
>  --what's the situation?

Commonly our Mac packagers package the release (candidate) versions,
so we'll know ex-post only.

> #: go through changelog for "new and fix" bullet points, add to trac wiki page
> #: write the 6.4.3 release announcement and press release

I am afraid that we need an RC4 now due to the too many changes after
RC3.

> see also
>> all grass 6 bugs:  https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/report/16
>> all wingrass bugs: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/report/14