[GRASS-dev] wxGUI GRASS 7: how to drape a map over a DEM?

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Sun May 26 01:32:19 PDT 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> So the problem is that wxNviz is not working? Please read NOTE on man
> page
> >> [1] and follow the instructions.
> >
> > Oh, thanks, I overlooked this hint. Added to
> > http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WxNviz#Troubleshooting
> >
> > Will try again,
>
> ... no change... nothing is drawn.

> The NC exercise is:
>
> # set computational region to map
> g.region rast=elev_lid792_1m -p
>
> r.watershed elevation=elev_lid792_1m accumulation=flowacc
>
> - load both elev_lid792_1m and flowacc into Layer Manager
> - 3D view: wxNVIZ
>
> ... (for me) it does not show the perspective view.

ok, I get it. You shouldn't load flowacc as a layer because than it is
displayed as another surface which we don't want in this case. Or when it
is loaded (when 2D) just uncheck it and adjust the view to see the DEM.
Then, go to the Data -> Surface -> Surface attributes and change color to
flowacc. This should be  the same concept as for the old nviz or not? BTW,
it's in the video tutorial:)

The problem why you don't see anything when you load both maps is that
flowacc has large extreme values, so the initial view is confused. Anyway
you should be able see something when you adjust the view to some normal
height.

Anna