[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-SVN] r56493 - grass/trunk/gui/wxpython/gui_core

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed May 29 14:15:31 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2013/5/29  <svn_grass at osgeo.org>:
>> Author: mmetz
>> Date: 2013-05-29 12:53:39 -0700 (Wed, 29 May 2013)
>> New Revision: 56493
>>
>> Modified:
>>    grass/trunk/gui/wxpython/gui_core/dialogs.py
>> Log:
>> wxGUI: disable nonsense subgroup support, TODO: add subgroup support with name of subgroup
>
> note that many imagery modules require also subgroup to be defined.
> Now it's not possible to create a group containing subgroup with the
> same name using wxGUI dialog. It was a quick workaround, but it had
> some sense. Reason for required subgroups is still quite mysterious to
> me. I discovered that classification modules (i.maxlik, i.smap) add
> results to the group, subgroup is untouched (should probably contain
> input for the classification). I am not sure if it was reason for
> introducing subgroups. Any idea? Probably we could make subgroups
> optional. I am afraid that most of the users doesn't know what is a
> purpose of subgroups...

I would prefer to make subgroups optional in the affected imagery
modules.A subgroup can make sense, for example with  Landsat, all the
bands are 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 61, 70, 80. Bands 60, 61 are thermal
bands at about 60m resolution, band 80 is the pan band at 14.5 m
resoltion. A subgroup would contain bands 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 70.
Another subgroup would contain only bands 10, 20, 30.

In any case, the wxGUI should have the option to specify the name of a
subgroup which can be different from the name of the group, but only
maps present in the group can be added to one of its subgroups.

Markus M