[GRASS-dev] r58200 (attempt to fix failure when user name contains non-ascii characters)

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 08:50:15 PST 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com
> > wrote:

>> > How/why does it fail? And how does this change fix that?
>>
>> In the absence of any useful information, r58200 has been reverted for
>> lib/init/grass.py (the change to lib/python/script/core.py remains).
>>
>> I cannot test this because I'm not able to create user with non-ascii
> chars at my ms win machine, either because of domain issues or locale or
> both.
>
> Finally, I was able to create a user with non-ascii chars. I tried r58198
(before Martin's change) and GRASS runs, opens location, saves last open
location to user settings and loads them afterwards. So, r58200 is not
needed for that machine.

However, I was not able to create a location in my home directory. I cannot
test the other directories.

The test was done in US locale, I don't know how this would behave in some
non-ascii locale. I would guess that this can make difference. I've noticed
that in the command line, the user name was converted to ascii.

Other problem was that I got a "Select application to open .py file" dialog
once (this was reported in #2015). The nice thing about it is that it does
not happen on other user accounts on the same machine.

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/58200
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/58224
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2015